Electric heater: Efficient thermal energy storage solutions
In recent years, there has been a growing emphasis on generating low-carbon electricity from renewable sources worldwide. This has led to a strong push for reducing carbon emissions in industrial manufacturing processes, particularly through the adoption of electrified heating systems. Electric heater play a crucial role in storing excess electrical energy generated from renewable sources. They also enable the conversion of heat from traditional fossil fuel sources into electricity.
Since heating accounts for approximately 70% of the energy used in various industries, thermal energy storage becomes vital for ensuring a continuous supply of heat. Surplus energy is wasted, but with rising power demand, it’s crucial to utilize this excess energy efficiently. Electric heaters used in thermal storage plants provide a solution to this problem and contribute to decarbonizing industrial heating requirements. This blog will provide a detailed explanation of how electric heaters are employed in thermal energy storage.
What is Thermal Energy Storage?
Thermal energy is the energy released by matter due to its temperature. It is produced from renewable sources of energy. The generated energy is in the form of mechanical energy, which is converted into thermal energy and stored with the help of electric immersion heaters. Thermal energy storage is defined as a process that allows the transfer and storage of heat energy. This storage of thermal energy is carried out by electric heaters. Electric heaters exploit the latent heat of the stored energy and alters the phase of the substance. Conversion, storage, and discharge are the three steps that make up the thermal energy storage process. Thermal energy storage systems are particularly used in industrial processes as well as commercial electrical needs.
Importance of electric heater in thermal energy storage
- Initially, an excessive amount of electric energy is generated by means of wind, geothermal, solar energy, etc. and is passed on to the thermal energy storage systems for conversion into thermal energy.
- The necessary equipment used for storage is an electric circulation heater, which helps to maintain the temperature of thermal energy and stores it in molten salt, which is generally a phase-change material.
- As molten salts freeze at temperatures below 230 °C, measures must be taken to prevent them from freezing at low temperatures.
- This can be achieved by using electric industrial heaters. Marathon’s immersion heater is an effective and reliable solution for thermal energy storage purposes. They provide an excellent heating solution to store the thermal energy which is gained from renewable sources of energy. Furthermore, electric heaters use a conductive heating process which helps maintain the temperature necessary for thermal energy storage.
- With the help of immersion heaters, a large amount of thermal energy can be accumulated in molten salt, and used later when needed. Stored thermal energy is then passed on to boilers and steam generators through pipes.
- But one more problem arises as the stored thermal energy needs to be at a standard temperature while it passes through the pipes. This is achieved through heat tracing cables, which stop the stored thermal energy in molten salt from freezing.
- At last, thermal energy is converted to electrical energy by a mechanism that consists of a boiler and steam generator and is used for commercial as well as industrial purposes.
- This process continues as the electric energy is converted into thermal energy and then stored with the help of electric heaters in storage tank containing molten salt when heated up to 700 degree Celsius.
Advantages of electric heater in thermal storage
- Customized cold as well as hot sections.
- With proper design and maintenance, electric heaters can be a reliable as well as cost-effective tool for optimizing thermal energy management.
- They can be designed to store heat at a wide range of temperatures and capacities, depending on the specific application.
- They can also be integrated into existing production processes, and their modular design allows for easy expansion.
- Immersion heaters are also relatively simple to install.
- Precise temperature control as well as sensing.
In summary, electric immersion heaters are an effective and flexible solution for thermal energy storage. By storing excess heat generated during production, electric heaters can reduce energy costs, increase efficiency, and lower greenhouse gas emissions. Marathon heater aids various industrial sectors in decarbonizing their entire processes, minimizing their carbon footprint.. For any inquiry related to industrial heating systems, contact us at 91-9116647930 or mail us at email@example.com